Monday, April 20, 2009

the backer

So this weekend, I headed to the Backer with all of my friends Saturday evening as usual, although I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the bar.  There was a group of about 10 of that was a mixture of guys and girls.  We spent most of the night dancing and by about 3 am, one of my girl friends and I were ready to head home.  Thus, we went to the door to see if a cab was outside that we could snag.  However, on the way to the door, a man who was about 40 to 50 years old smacked my ass relatively hard.  Of course, I could not just walk away and pretend it didn't happen, so I confronted him.  He was extremely drunk and his friends apologized numerous times for his inappropriate behavior.  Yet, I figured this was an opportune time to preach my ideas about feminism.  I asked him how he could have gone all these years and still treat women like that.  His friends expressed their embarrassment of the situation and I simply said that he is the person who should be embarrassed of his behavior.  First of all, women are to be treated with the same respect as men.  If he doesn't expect a woman to randomly come up to him and grab his junk, then how does he find it ok to grab my ass?  Not only am I young enough to be his daughter, but I was clearly not interested in him. 
After the night was over, I was thinking out loud to my friends how ironic the entire situation was.  When I was with other guys we came to the bar with, not a single guy spoke to me.  No one offered to buy me drinks or try to dance with me, but the second that I leave with solely another woman, we get harassed.  Not just approached; harassed.  This is a problem.  Men have enough respect for other men to stay away from the women they are with.  Yet, as soon as a woman is alone, she is fair game for sexual harassment?  It's sick.  And that is one of the many reasons that the Backer is not one of my favorite bars.

1 comment:

  1. britt, what you said really clicked with me: Men have enough respect for other men to stay away from the women they are with. It's totally true. And it's not okay. I love the backer. And i feel that at the backer, people seem to think it's okay to just smack asses and act hunky dory about it all. But also, i think that when people are inebriated, they feel free to act as jag offs and feel it's acceptable because they can use the drunken excuse, right? but where was I going with this? Sorry, the trumper lights are getting to my brain. I agree with you wholeheartedly and I'm glad you spoke your mind, and it's peculiar to me that men would respect the men with the women they are with. . why? i don't get it. is it the whole "keep your friends close and enemies closer?" hmm. okay, got to run to sorcery.

    ReplyDelete