Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Creative memoirs

So after today's class, I had a little realization.  For the next paper, I have been thinking of a way to approach the topic, and to be quite honest, I have drawn a blank.  But, after today's class, I had an idea.  First of all, most of us in the class don't know each other.  This parallels to the authors of the works we have read in class; we don't know them.  However, we read about a specific experience he or she has had.  Why do we care?  Why do we care what each of our classmates had to say?  We all know that we do care.  We enjoy reading about, and learning about these strangers.  We enjoy this even more when can do so by viewing an artistic work.  This exactly what memoir is.  No, I'm sure not everything in a memoir is true, much like how most of our projects may have had some biased involved.  But the fact of the matter is, that it is true to us.  To me, I am a good friend (which is one of the 'pieces' of me), but to people who I'm not close with, maybe I'm not.  The point is that memoir is from that person's point of view, and they chose to write a memoir rather than a novel to further demonstrate THEIR point of view.  I don't know exactly where I'm going with this, but I thought I should get my thoughts down.  Everyone had a great project today.  I wish I could have seen all of them in detail!  Great job, ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment